Welcome to the Moonsorrow Interviews Compilation!
Here you will find more than one hundred Moonsorrow interviews, many of which have already disappeared from where they were originally posted. Check the Index and Contact pages above and the notes in the left column for more info.

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Rising Darkness / November 2003

Link

Interviews Moonsorrow - via mail 24.11.2003

Answered by Ville Seponpoika Sorvali


Alright here we go! Let me at first welcome you and thank you for the time you are taking for that interview!

Ville :
Thank you for your support, friend.


In the year 2000 your first full album "Suden Uni" appeared on the market. Now three years later you decided to re release this album. How did you com on this? Because it has a special meaning to you?

Ville :
The original pressing of the album was only 2000 copies, they sold out pretty quickly and there were still many people asking for a copy. Our previous label got into financial difficulties, so they could not fill the demand. Spinefarm got the idea of the re-release, bought the license, and we thought of adding some extra material to make it a good reissue package. And finally all of our fans can have the album. We are still very proud of the album, and it has a special meaning because it's our first album.


There is a strong pagan feeling coming up through your music. As far as I hate to put music into a certain drawer I am more interested about your personal engagement. What makes paganism and everything around it so interesting that it has such a influence on you and your music?

Ville :
Paganism is my way of life, and it affects everything I do on a certain level. It's hard to explain any further.


If I think about paganism I must think first of all about a strong relationship to the nature and all its elements. Would you agree with me and if so how would you define your relationship?

Ville :
I definitely agree. To me paganism is mostly dealing with the nature, as nature is the basis of all primordial pagan beliefs. My relationship with nature is a combination of love, reverence and admiration. I like to be surrounded by nature, and I try to do as little harm to nature as humanly possible.


If you think about all the ancient times when all this was very common have you ever had the wish to go back in time to see and feel how life was there? Just to get out of our perverted world?

Ville :
I'd like to see what it was like back then, for sure. That's why I've been watching all those movies and reading history, hehe. But I can still adapt to the life in the modern world, it's not a problem. I'm sure all times have had some features I wouldn't like.

In Germany everything about the ancient times has become very popular. There are several medieval markets and stuff like that. On one side in my opinion it is good that people keep the thoughts about those times alive but on the other everything turns around the money you can make out of it. What about in Finland?

Ville :
We have these medieval markets in Finland also. It's good to remind the people of those times and get them interested. It's just that the common view of past times can be quite narrow. I don't care that much about the cashing, at least the medieval markets are something fun to do on holidays.


"Suden Uni" the title of your re released first Album. I think the meaning is something like "The Dream Of A Wolf". A very interesting title to me because the wolf is one of my favourite animals. They are absolutely social, don't hurt anybody just for fun, not like human beings and of course they are absolutely beautiful. Has the wolf a special meaning to you, too?

Ville :
Yes, wolf is one of my favourites among wild animals. It is a very special creature, and it was natural for me to choose it as "the leading figure" of "Suden Uni". I hail the care, the courage and the freedom that wolves represent.


What do you think, how would a dream of a wolf look like?

Ville :
The wolf's dream is all about serenity. It's about living in peace and being left alone by the purposeless human society. The wolves do not need cities, they need forests.


If I would go on holiday in Finland which place would I have to visit in your opinion and why especially this one?

Ville :
You should visit the Suomenlinna sea fortress, by the shore of Helsinki, in midwinter. It's not that comfortable, because it's really cold and windy out there, but it's an extraordinary peaceful and majestic place that makes you forget about yourself and the hurries of this world for a while.


One thing I would really enjoy when on a visit in Finland is to take a ride in a dog sled into the white nature with a big layer of snow on everything and enjoy the feeling of pure nature and everything so calm because of the snow. Have you ever done this?

Ville :
No, I haven't done it. I live in Southern Finland, and there usually is not enough snow to do that, and of course we don't have any dog sleds in the capital area, heh. I guess I could do it if I ever visit Northern Lapland, it would be a great experience I'm sure.


On festivals I was able to learn some "very important" words in Finnish like for example: kippis, haista vitu, perkele. Which words would I have to know in your opinion?

Ville :
"Kippis" (cheers) is correct, but the other words are actually spelled "haista vittu" (fuck you) and "perkele" (a very strong and traditional swear word, impossible to translate in its full meaning, and you have to say it like "perrrrrrkele"). Other words of specific importance are "olut" (beer), "jääkiekko" (ice hockey) and "jääkarhu" (polar bear) - not that there would be any polar bears in Finland.


Thank you very much again for all the time you took answering my questions! As far as I don't like last words questions I won't bother you with this. If you really want to it is of course up to you!
Kippis!


Ville:
Thank you for this interview, and kippis to you too!


martin

No comments:

Post a Comment