Welcome to the Moonsorrow Interviews Compilation!
Here you will find more than one hundred Moonsorrow interviews, many of which have already disappeared from where they were originally posted. Check the Index and Contact pages above and the notes in the left column for more info.

Monday, January 31, 2011

Unknow Russian zine / May 2000

Link

Answered by Ville Sorvali

Because it is our first interview with you let's make a short excursus to the history?

[Ville] Moonsorrow was formed in 1995 by Henri and Ville Sorvali. The debut demo "Metsä" was recorded in 1997 and the so-called breakthrough demo "Tämä Ikuinen Talvi" in 1998 (released in 1999). After the demos Moonsorrow got a record deal from Plasmatica Records (Sweden), added Baron Tarwonen to their line-up to play drums, and headed recording their debut album "Suden Uni" in 2000.

Do you take part in another projects?

[Ville] Yes. My main focus is Moonsorrow, but I also play in a rock group called May Withers and in a black/whatever metal band Thornfrost (which however is currently put on ice). Then there are several not-so-important projects, but they work rather passively and thus are not crucial to mention.

The name by yours bands, what it means, what sense you have put in pawn in it?

[Ville] Besides being just a good name for a band like us, Moonsorrow has many symbolic meanings. I am not to explain any, but perhaps it has something to do with the Finnish melancholy.

What inspire you to write such kind of music? What is the basis of your style? Do you feel any limitation in your style, in any conception? Do you see any possible progress, of movement forward? I do not like to stick labels and I am interested in your opinion.

[Ville] I just like music, and particularly I find it very entertaining to play this kind of music. Our musical style is based on the inspiration from such bands as Enslaved or Bathory, but nowadays we are not limited to mimicking any famous bands. Our sources of inspiration are very various. Of course there are some limitations within our style, for example we couldn't use dance beats in Moonsorrow even if we wanted to (don't worry, we don't even want to!), but progress is happening all the time. We develop our music and create new dimensions to it all the time, certainly. I don't like labels either, but so far we have called our music "bombastic heathen metal".

Do you think that an image of a musician is a basic element of the atmosphere. Is your image of great importance or you use it only for performances?

[Ville] For sure image has something to do with the musical atmosphere, but it's not the most important thing. As we play paganic music, we don't have any difficulties to fit the concept, because we are more or less pagans ourselves. Actually we're quite like ourselves in Moonsorrow, and it supports the atmosphere.

What is the main in music - technical things and possibilities or atmosphere (soul) ?

[Ville] Obviously it is the soul. Skillful and over-technical music would be nothing without atmosphere, while even the simplest music can be excellent if it has soul.

Tell more details about your lyrics?

[Ville] A general aspect in the lyrics is that they all have a heathen concept. Mostly they are about the fights between pagans and christians, but there are also texts about nature, death etc.

Do you use national elements in your music?

[Ville] We are very fond of folk elements and try to use them as often as they serve the music.

Where are your roots, both musical and your origin, do you know anything about them ?

[Ville] I have listened to music my whole life, and I was engaged with metal when I was 11 years old. Since then I have only widened and developed my musical taste. What comes to my origin, I know that my father's bloodline comes from Karelia for at least 3 generations and my mother's bloodline from the Central Finland for perhaps more generations. I would have to make some research to figure it out.

You excited with national questions, as you understand nationalism. Whether you adhere of concepts of cleanliness of blood, cleanliness of a nation. Cleanliness of ideas.

[Ville] I'm not so excited about national questions actually. I think it's important for a nation to preserve its own culture and people to an extent, but to avoid inbreeding a nation must not keep totally "clean". Most often nationalist issues even have no rational means, culminating to the pointless violence of the skinheads, which is enough of a reason for me to disassociate myself from them. Besides, I have nothing against foreign people, on the contrary.

Underground - is it simple only a term, or you think it really exists? I mean an opposition, which was, is, and will be. What are the troubles of Underground?

[Ville] There indeed is a worldwide underground, which in fact is getting wider day by day. However, the community is not as sincere as it used to be, and sadly enough I have a strong reason to believe that the best days of the underground were lived through when I wasn't involved in it. In the future there will be more problems for the underground than the question of sincerity, since the evergrowing computerization makes it really hard for little bands to survive. Think about mp3's for example.

Many hide the lack of talent, failures under the term underground What'd you think of crisis in the direction, whether there will be an exit from crisis?

[Ville] It is very annoying nowadays that when you see an interesting flyer and decide to buy the demo, you can very possibly receive a real piece of shit. There are people who can't even play their instruments, let alone composing proper music, and still they form bands "in the name of the underground". The crisis is still getting worse, but I doubt whether the incompetent have the will to irritate us listeners for long. I suppose that the trend is going to fade, at least when the internet and such take a strangle hold of the underground.

What you think of your local scene? Whom'd you support?

[Ville] The scene in Helsinki is pretty okay. Of course the mediocrities make up the majority, as everywhere, but there is a bunch of bands worth *serious* attention, for example Mother Depth (doom), Ensiferum (heavy/folk metal), Tenhi (folk/acoustic), Finntroll (oompah/black metal) and Prophet (heavy/rock). I support the bands I like, I have no money nor will to support anything unworthy and I think no one even should.

Your advice to young bands?

[Ville] Listen to your hearts and do not follow anyone. And learn to play first, of course.

Now the most of groups make a deal with large labels. It seems the black-radicalism became the subject of commerce speculation, isn't it?

[Ville] There is no radicalism in black metal anymore, the media actually worn the subject out even before the big record deals appeared. I don't judge any bands that sign such contracts, if they deserve it with their music, only the better. It just has nothing to do with the extreme movement of the early 90's anymore, but why should it? Music seems to be more important for people today and that is good for the listener.

Do you have such notion like responsibility for your fans? I know many groups that have changed the style but remained the old name. What do you think about it?

[Ville] I'm grateful for every single fan that could ever turn up and I think of them when I drive Moonsorrow forwards, but I don't feel directly responsible for any of them. We have no intentions to radically change our style anyway. We will develop with time and the people who accept it are our real fans. Development is natural for living structures, even that of Rotting Christ... although a change of monicker would've done really good for them and their new style.

Money on the other hand gives some freedom of creativity, but the question is to be discussed there is a lot of contradictions, what's your opinion?

[Ville] I do not oppose money and actually one of my dreams is being able to make a living with Moonsorrow. I think money doesn't build borders unless one allows it. I seriosly think that I wouldn't sell my soul for anything; if I weren't awarded money for doing what I like, fine, I'll keep doing it without money then. I will graduate for occupation anyway so I won't have to worry about Moonsorrow not making money.

What is for you the Evil, Hatred, Gloom, Contempt?

[Ville] Evil is something opposing good, always depending on the morals of oneself. For me there is nothing particularly evil, as it is a subject of relativism, but there certainly are some things that I regard as "evil" (opposing to good) which actually are considered good in some circles, for example forcing people to submit to one and almighty god without any own will. Evil is individual and should never be examined inside the religious context only, it is never all about what the christians say. Hatred is the other one of the strongest human feelings, hand in hand with love. It is a powerful driving force but should never be given the grip; uncontrolled hate always has the possibility to create something mournfully permanent. Gloom resebmles melancholia, which is a beautiful and somehow positive feeling. Contempt is for those who deserve it, aimed at respectable people it is just envy.

A nature, whether you communicate with it sometimes?

[Ville] Nature is my creator, not in the sense of "god" but as the mother of all living things. I respect nature very much and strive to maintain a harmony with it, always seeking for improving our relation. Human beings have lost the contact with nature, but a person who really loves nature can, just by wandering in a forest, open channels for communication with nature. There are no words but it tells more than any conversation with another human being could.

That think of Chaos and total destruction of life, one of means which achievement Is the War! What'd you think of it? Many shout about war, but have wrong opinion (not confirmed by experience of life), others shout different slogans, and in soul feel fear (even from the words)! Many think it is necessary and there are others who will have enough boldness of spirit to kill by the hands, not simply shout about it. They will want and do it I through this boundary have passed, and I know personally what is what. Let everyone decide on it himself. All the same weak people will remain weak, independently of the environment. Those who can act seldom shout about it at each corner. This's my personal opinion. Your opinion is interesting to me.

[Ville] War is nothing to strive for, the nature has its ways to reduce population by itself. People should learn to respect each other and not go for killing in the slightest conflict. It indeed is quite amusing how people shout about war without having any personal experiences with it; and if they had, their viewpoints would be quite different! Killing by hands, out of war, does not necessarily require courage, and depending on the cause it could have lead to a death sentence since the heathen dominion. Killing for reason, self defense for example, is acceptable but never too much to shout about.

How the man ceases to be the man?

[Ville] Man (though using this word I do not exclude women from the concept, they are as "men" as men are) ceases to be a man when losing his honour, by breaking his oath or committing a shameful deed such as the murder of a defenseless victim, rape or unrespect for nature. Thus, most men are not men. Although often considered otherwise, a man losing a fair duel still has his honour and remains a man.

The force of soul, in what is it found?

[Ville] Every human has a soul, yet likely everyone will never discover it. By following one's heart and with head up high striving for one's dreams the force of the soul can be unleashed.

How you react to criticism?

[Ville] If it's serious, I take it very seriously. Not in the smile-towards-ass style however. I listen carefully to what people have to say and try to improve the criticised aspect (be it of whatever) to a level that I can be comfortable with. For example the vocals of "Tämä Ikuinen Talvi" got very bad note and I realized the people were right: my voice sucked. I worked on it and now I can be, not completely but more satisfied. If the criticism however is unserious, plainly mocking, I don't give a shit about it... after being pissed off for a couple of moments, that is.

Look back, look on your past life. What'd you thinkof it?

[Ville] I did many foolish things when I was younger and I am not entirely satisfied with what I was like. However, it was a part of my growing process and I guess everyone else has had to go through that phase too. Of course there are also things I can be proud of, like getting the will to grow my awareness and knowledge and settling down with the person I love. But whatever may have happened, the past cannot be changed, I have learned my lessons and I'm only going to be wiser in the future.

Do you hear about such movement "Never Stop The Madness"? The weaks must die, the strongs must survive and so on. What do you think about it?

[Ville] Why *must* the strong survive? The strong *will* survive, regardless of any campaigns. "Never stop the madness" is only directed to the weak people who want to be strong by showing themselves ever weaker. I prefer "stop the madness" campaign against religions, that's all I have to do with it.

Do you think should extreme music get any ideology or not?

[Ville] Ideologies will develope, it is unnatural just to take something out of the context. The now matured anti-christian thinking is an intergral part of (black) metal, but it shouldn't be taken out to such an elitism where the "outsiders" simply aren't allowed to get into it.

Satanism- your opinion on this account? Whether the Satan is just a mirror reflection of God, but an opposed reflection, and it exists only till God exists.Satanism- is it a religion just like any other planting ideas? What your opinion?

[Ville] Satanism is a humane philosophy without any strictly religious bindings, and it is a good ideology for people who seek their inner selves. There are many people who have truthfully found themselves in satanism. Devil worshipping however is an entirely other issue, a religion among others. Just when directed against christianity in its whole it makes itself even more foolish. Satan is the enemy of god and thus exists only in the existence of god. As the existence of god as christians determine it is an utterly absurd idea, so is the existence of Satan.

Can Black exist outside of satanism?

[Ville] By most people satanism is considered the core or the basis of black metal, so I wouldn't say black metal would ever exist without satanism. Listen to it yourself; the name "black metal" is chosen from the inspiration of satanism, it is "the satanic genre" of music.

Paganism is more ancient, more perfect outlook, what'd you think? What is Pagan for you, culture or religion? Whether it is actual now?

[Ville] To me paganism is a very healthy way to live, it teaches us honour, respect for the nature and each other. We really should look into the past and learn from our ancestors. My paganism is more a culture than religion, I don't believe in personified divine forces and I do not practise any rituals. I actually think that in ancient Finland Ahti, Tapio and the other good fellows were merely titles for different phenomena in nature. People believed in them because they believed in nature, they sacrificed for them because they wanted to show their respect for nature. I respect that, and if the gods really existed they would understand why I don't believe in them in person. I can see a rise of paganism in modern society, and I can't but think it's great. People are really learning the lessons of the christianized generations and beginning to think for themselves. I think paganism has a future in Finland, not as a practised religion but as a valuable culture.

What has caused "Pagan" and "Black" trend, and what can cause their disappearance?

[Ville] The starting point for such trends was in the bands who employed satanism or paganism as their image only. Later there was a bunch of teenagers who took the image to a new, more serious extent, causing a lot of hassle leading to worldwide attention. And the snowball started to roll. The trends are already fading, but it takes a while for them to settle to a reasonable level. The reason for their weakening is obviously that those not so devoted who have made up the majority are losing their interest and seeking for new "radical" subcultures.

What'd you think about the growing popularity of black metal and more people come into a Cult?

[Ville] It is alright for any music style to get attention, because if the genre - as black metal is claimed - was supposed to be a "cult", the people not belonging into its embrace will shortly leave the way they entered. To me black metal is not more a secret cult than triphop, it is just a small corner of youth culture that remains incomprehensive for the majority.

The Death is standing near to you, whether you can bravely look at its eyes? Your last words even in this life?

[Ville] Depending on the shape of death. If I feel I still have a chance to save my life, I will not accept to die, but if I knew there's no way out, I would look straight into the eyes of death and say "apparently it's my turn, take me if you have to." I would tell all people important to me that I will always love them and ask them not to mourn after me.

What'd think of suicide? Whether it is victory of extreme egoism over all desires and feelings?

[Ville] That's very well put: victory of extreme egoism. Suicide is merely an escape from life. Every man has the right to commit suicide, but the moment should be chosen very carefully so that there would be the least harm of it to loved ones. But it's always egoistic, unless you're doing it to save someone else of course.

What keeps you in this life till now?

[Ville] I simply have a will to live; I won't have another earthly life and I do not know what expects me on the other side. I have my fiancée, my friends, my music and my interests as a driving force, and searching to improve in every aspect of human life will always keep me reaching further.

Life after death?

[Ville] I don't believe there's anything, but I cannot be sure until I see it. My time will come to know it; there are many things I want to learn before.

What is the great Truth for you?

[Ville] There is a truth for everyone and nature knows them all.

Is the division into True/False still possible?

[Ville] It was injudicious from the beginning.

Do you in general communicate with somebody? Or hatred suffer you, and you hate itself, you wonder whether you are still a man?

[Ville] I do not consider myself an extremely social person, but naturally I communicate with people, even quite often. Even if something cherished was taken from me I would never become so bittered that I would quit all social interactions for my life. That would be killing myself.

Does Misanthropy destroys you from within, or is it pointed at the environmental world?

[Ville] My misanthropy is aimed at the worhtless people and I can't see it as a destroying force. I can respect anyone who respects me.

What stimulators d'you use for expansion of your spiritual perception?

[Ville] I don't need to expand my perception, I can see everything that matters. Apart from that, I sometimes smoke weed, but not because of reaching "new levels of consciousness". Just for fun.

What is Elite for you? Is it just an opposition to the outer world?

[Ville] Somehow the word elite has become a swear word in my ears, reminding me of people who seriously think they are above all others with no justification for their claims. There is no elite, just individuals who can separate themselves from the mass with reason.

What is your future plans?

[Ville] I haven't planned much, and I would not like to reveal the little I have planned to avoid disappointments.

And in the end: what do you want to say especially for our readers in Russia? How can get aquainted with of album or demo?

[Ville] Thanks for reading this far. If anyone wants to get a hold of our album or the demos, or just to get in touch with me, my contact addresses are wille@pp.htv.fi and Ville Sorvali, Porvoonkatu 37 B 6, 00520 Helsinki, Finland. The demos cost $5 each and the album will (the most propably) cost $18. Keep on living and searching yourselves proudly and in respect for the divine!

No comments:

Post a Comment