Welcome to the Moonsorrow Interviews Compilation!
Here you will find more than one hundred Moonsorrow interviews, many of which have already disappeared from where they were originally posted. Check the Index and Contact pages above and the notes in the left column for more info.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Goathick Webzine / April 2000


Link [ENG] - Link [FIN]

[Finnish link & picture added on Apr 26th 2011. More photos from the first concert I just found: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4]

Answered by Ville, Henri and Marko... and Kharadrai! Original version in Finnish can be read below the English one.



Just before the interview Moonsorrow has played their first ever gig at West Coast Holocaust IV in Turku. The upcoming album ”Suden Uni” was already recorded in February 2000, but the Swedish Plasmatica Records has just managed to delay the release. Hopefully it will catch the bag of Santa. The fabulous three-song MCD ”Buried By Night” of Gorewinter has already been for a while in distros and we may need to wait some time for new material.

A basic question to begin with, in other words what are the latest feelings from the front?


[Ville] Well, a nice gig it was..

[Baron] Gorewinter has been doing practically nothing for a year after ”Buried By Night” MCD. Now we have done some new songs, some 40 minutes of new material. We’ve been rehearsing and we’re intending to make a demo of them, not for distribution but for checking out what does it sound like and then we’ll consider if we carry on with it. Because there’s just two of us in the band, we have to listen to ourselves from the tape sometimes, like for what does it sound like. If it sounds good, we carry on and book a studio...

And how is this record label picture of Moonsorrow? What kind of a deal?

[Ville] The deal is that Carlos pays... One album deal.

Please tell a bit of your own musical history? When did you begin to play, how etc.

[Ville] I started to play the bass and the drums in ’93, i.e. 13 years old. Moonsorrow was formed at the end of ’95. At first I played the drums in it. Then during one period I didn’t play anything than my mouth and in ’98 I started to play the bass in Moonsorrow.

How does personal chemistry work in Moonsorrow?

[Ville] The band’s personal chemistry work damn well. At least I haven’t come across any huge conflicts. I’m talking about the band line-up here, not the live line-up...

What was your first touch to black metal?

[Ville] I guess it was in ’94 when I bought ”In The Nightside Eclipse” by Emperor. I have listened to metal since ’88. Black is not the main thing.

And the same stories by Gorewinter-Baron?

[Baron] I begun playing drums 7 years old, means that a lot of time has elapsed... 15 years ago. Thanks to mom that she put me playing the drums instead of the piano or the violin! For the first ten years no band stuff happened. Only when I grew up a bit I started to form my own bands, of which the first played some kind of speed metal if I remember correctly, something on the Stone-Anthrax-Metallica axis... The chemistry in the band works fine, because there are only two of us it’s easy to deal with all things. Also outmusical, as much as there are such in this kind of a underground duo.

And you are ”just” friends with Eurén?

[Baron] We have known each other since year one, we have such a long relationship. We started playing together in ’95. At weekends we drink and see if we can do some music.

At this point I must ask whether you Ville and Henri Sorvali are cousins?

[Ville] Yes sir we are, you might be the first getting that one right. Every other thinks we’re brothers.

Well, when you look at the demo cover, you can’t make a mistake... (it says Henri Urponpoika and Ville Seponpoika) The father’s name is not the same, see...

[Ville] Yeah, but foreigners do not know what ’poika’ (son) means.

What was the composing and recording process of the songs on ”Buried By Night” like?

[Baron] The composing process was very simple. I made the songs. As nerd as I am, I made them with a computer... I played the songs to Eurén and he rehearsed them. We took a few sessions at the rehearsal place and we asked a few friends just to save time in the studio, a friend (Hellborg) to play the bass and that guy (Sir Atirkiéh), as he’s quite skilled with his hands, to play a guitar solo. This guitarist is by no means connected with metal music. The songs were recorded in the studio in a couple of days, that’s it. The lyrics were done during a few nights, heh.

What about Moonsorrow..?

[Ville] If I try to speak on behalf of Henri now... After the demo (”Tämä Ikuinen Talvi”) in ’99 we started to make some new songs before we had any deal, which we then got in April. After that Henri continued with the songs and I helped a bit. Then we realized that everything’s not right with this material, I mean we can’t play this demo-styled blasting all the time and then Henri just throwed unanimously most of the songs to the thrash bin and we started making some new material. The material on the new album is heavier than on the demo, a bit slower and there are also bits of good ol’ heavy metal there. The influence of Bathory shines through... All in all the songs were finalized in two months, we went into the studio and the process itself was pretty painless, because our engineer (Ahti Kortelainen, Tico Tico) was a very professional and nice fellow.

Are you satisfied with Plasmatica Records?

[Ville] So far yes, no confusions have occurred. The co-operation works well and mutual understanding prevails...

[Baron] As far as Carlos pays, everything’s alright. We wait for the album...

What other bands there are in Carlos’ team?

[Ville] The Peruvian folk/doom combo Kranium, Unhola from Uusikaupunki and after us there was this Swedish Midian signed, some kind of death metal. (Today there are also the Swedish Blazing Skies and the Peruvian Anal Vomit in the team.)

From where do you get your inspiration for making music?

[Baron] Gorewinter was originally formed as a tribute to the old bands, but ”Buried By Night” no more represents that style. The old Beherit and ”Transilvanian Hunger” by Darkthrone were the inspirative cases back then. Today the songs don’t create themselves from ”a tribute ground” anymore. I just take a guitar in my hands and if there’s good stuff coming we use it with Gorewinter, and if there’s shit coming we use it with some shitty band.

[Ville] In making the music for Moonsorrow I have just a little share.. I did lyrics most of the time while the music for the album was in process. In the last hand I got in a hurry anyway, I think it was in some two months when I completed all the lyrics. When time was about to end I asked Kaija (=fiancée) for help and she made one of the lyrics. And then we had the package wrapped. Some lyrics were still constructed in the studio the day the vocals were recorded.

Do you get any inspiration from literature for the lyrics?

[Ville] Not really, more from my own feelings and thoughts. Very seldom after I’ve read some literature or poems I start to work with any lyrics. More likely that happens when I’m for instance sitting at the table eating some lousy student meal. Then it just pops up like hey, now I’m gonna write some lyrics. The subjects of course have nothing to do with those macaroni..

What’s the message of Moonsorrow’s lyrics?

[Ville] Paganism is quite a prevailing theme. At least on the new recording there shines through a certain pissed-offness towards the christians who came across the continent and crushed all the pagan cultures.

Do you dig Enochian Crescent?

[Ville] I haven’t heard their new one (”Omega Telocvovim”) at all, but I heard that they have a ”Lalli-song” too (”Väkisinkastettu”). Anyway, I heard that only after I had written mine (”Köyliönjärven Jäällä”).

But the spirit is the same and what could be better.

[Ville] That’s a good spirit. But we don’t oppose christianity only, we oppose all religions and culture imperialists of all times. Everyone should be allowed to believe in what one likes.

What about Moonsorrow’s relationship to the forest, is there power in the forest?

[Ville] Although the title of our first demo was pompously ”Metsä” (Forest), our lyrics have nothing to do with forest. There is of course power in the nature.

[Baron] Nature is the greatest force in this world. Nature kills a lot of people too..

[Ville] I really don’t believe in anything, but if there is a ”creator” that’s nature. Nature and the universe are practically above everything.

Of what do Gorewinter’s lyrics tell?

[Baron] Gorewinter’s lyrics handle death because death is the toughest thing in the world. You can’t escape the fact that everyone has to die. I tell about those ways in which a man can die. I try to invent those cruel-as-possible ways, e.g. by a serial killer. No suicide stories however.

Do you deal with romantic ways to die within your lyrics?

[Baron] Well, perhaps some sort of street romanticism or street angst can be found. I don’t live in any forest, I can’t tell how the wind blows and it’s oh so dismal in the forest. It’s on the streets where the murders happen, it’s there from where the evilness derives.

What do you think of suicide, by the way?

[Baron] It’s everyone’s own decision. No one else can complain a word about it.

Is suicide a solution?

[Ville] It’s an option, just as Mika Luttinen said.

[Baron] No one can tell whether it is a solution.

Are there any pantheistic thought behind the lyrics of Moonsorrow?

[Ville] I can’t say that there’s divinity within everything. There’s divinity in nothing as such, but nature’s just such an amazing thing. It’s above all.

What are the five most important albums for you?

[Baron] King Crimson: ”Great Deceiver” box, Entombed: ”Left Hand Path”, Morbid Angel: ”Altars Of Madness”, KISS: ”Animalize” and Pink Floyd: ”Dark Side Of The Moon”. There have all changed my music listening a lot at their time.

[Ville] I could’ve listed like all 5 from the side of classical music, because they’re so important considering the development of music in general: The 5th of Beethoven, the 40th of Mozart, ”Thus Spake Zarathustra” by Strauss, ”Walkyrie” by Wagner, the 9th of Anton Dvorak and all Bachs. On the metal side the very important for me have been Slayer’s ”Reign In Blood” and absolutely Iron Maiden’s ”Somewhere In Time” and Bal-Sagoth’s ”Starfire Burning Upon...” and outside metal King Crimson’s ”In The Court Of The Crimson King”. We could talk for ages about these things but perhaps we should move on to the next question..

[Baron] And Henri listens to Rasmus, hehheh.

What is your relation to industrialized music and where do you draw the line within your own production?

[Baron] Gorewinter will not bring any machines to its music and supposedly the same concerns Moonsorrow.

[Ville] The synths are played in, nothing’s programmed. If we talk about industrial sounds like clinging and stuff, I think neither of the bands will present any of those. What do I think as a music listener, for example Godflesh’s newest (”Us And Them”) is pretty cool in all its oppressiveness, because they have created something so heart-pressing with machinery that certainly everyone will not like it. Industrialized music is at its best highly listenable. I like some industrial bands, but for example Kovenant’s newest (”Animatronic”) is not an experience to get excited about.

[Baron] I don’t consider that industrial. I don’t particularly like industrial, but I don’t hate it either.

[Ville] If we use machinery some day, the line would be great to draw enough before that techno beat.

What’s your opinion on the experimenting music styles of Ulver and Arcturus?

[Ville] I like the new records of both bands (that is ”Themes From William Blake’s...” and ”La Masquerade Infernale”), they both dare to experiment and succeed well in it.

Well this is a bit corny, but what do you think of Black Metal’s ”church burning reputation”? Is it for good or bad?

[Ville] Bad, obviously.

[Baron] Not good for the tax payers.

[Kharadrai] I have my own view on who burned that church in Tyrnävä. It was some homophobic who couldn’t cope with how positive towards gays the lutheric church actually is. I think it was some extremist heterosexual.

[Baron] Personally I have nothing agaist christians. It couldn’t interest me any less if someone belongs to the church and likes to visit there. It has no effect on my life whatsoever.

[Ville] If one has to fight against the church it could be done by intellectual weapons. I mean, for example spreading propaganda would be much more effective than burning churches, because if you burn a church they build a new one which is even better and billed from the tax payers. In the end the black metal bands only get a worse reputation and they can’t play even in those places where they could before.

What do you think of the current state of black metal or the Finnish scene? Where would you see the development is heading?

[Baron] I don’t follow these scenes so actively that I could say anything.

[Ville] I just have to follow the scene (as the head of Meat Hook Priductions).

[Baron] Of the future or the current state of Fennometal, what could I say. There are loads of ok bands here, considering that everyone’s complaining how Sentenced is so HIM nowadays and HIM is so pop. Sure Sentenced ain’t what it was earlier, but I think it’s far greater that the Finnish spread this kind of music out to the international market than some Swedish europop.

[Ville] The black metal scene includes so much shit that it doesn’t interest me at all, but Finland is doing well on that field. There are good bands, but I would personally like some more originality and courage to do end with new solutions. There will seemingly be good bands in the future too, but any Stratovarius-Sentenced-HIM world conquerings don’t interest me a bit. Ok, HIM is pretty good, but I’m not interested if they sell well in Germany and Austria.

In your everyday life, how do you relate to the modern society which tries to control everything you do? Do christian and humanistic values and morals affect the way you act?

[Ville] Christian values do affect me, that’s why I’m so antichristian and also otherwise antireligious and as a consequence of that also humanistic, because religions ain’t humanistic. The society sucks but you have to live in it.

[Baron] The thing is that we live day by day and don’t care of those. As misanthropic as I am, I’m not interested.

[Ville] Day by day and per mille by per mille..

[Baron] As long as ALKO is around, everything’s well. And as long as I get some money from some firm... Although I have to pay those damn taxes...

[Ville] I could complain about the flaws in the society for eternities, but let’s leave that out.

[Baron] I’m that kind of a person that I’m not into politics because I can’t affect it so much.

What if there was this antichristian party...?

[Baron] I would vote for that, for sure.

Where do you see your band after five years?

[Baron] If the band is not together, I play in some other group then, but I will continue with music.

[Ville] Of course it’s hard to say, but I would hope the band being together then. And if it ain’t, perhaps I’m in another band then. I think I will keep liking music anyway.

What is your home town Helsinki like in the eyes of a metalhead?

[Ville] There’s one bar where the scene meets and that is Rock Café Maestro, and there’s two places where a couple of bands sometimes play. That sucks big time that there ain’t stages for smaller bands anywhere.

[Baron] They limit quite much to Semifinaali. Helsinki is a pretty nice place, just as the other towns in Finland.

What’s the future of christianity from 50 years now on?

[Ville] Pretty nasty. People are gradually starting to think for themselves – perhaps. Every day that religion is dying.

[Baron] God knows.

Ville, tell us what’s your view on ancient pagan religions?

[Ville] In practise I don’t believe in them, but I really am interested in especially Finnish ancient beliefs. You can’t find too much information on that matter, by the way. They have once been crushed, that’s impossible to forgive and that’s what we sing about.

What’s your relation to shamanism?

[Ville] I don’t know enough about those things, although I’m interested to know more. Perhaps I’m a sceptic but I don’t believe in exorcism or anything... But it indeed has a mental effect on a person if he starts playing with it...

Do you believe in the christian conception of personal evil, Sheitan?

[Ville] The christian conception of Satan is all the same shit as their conception about God. It has no factual grounds, it’s plain bullshit, there can’t be such.

At this point Henri Sorvali enters the stage to answers some questions and screams like a Slayer when arriving... Have you ever took singing lessons?

[Henri] Never.

Where do you get inspiration for Moonsorrow’s compositions? Is it subconscious?

[Henri] Yes, it’s pretty much subconscious, although mead is a great influence. Actually tomorrow we’re going to Kalle’s place to drink some mead. But anyway, some can find certain parallels between our music and Emperor, Enslaved and perhaps the new material points at Bathory sometimes, but in purpose we have copied nothing. Perhaps I have been inspirated by those a little, but not in purpose.

Do you follow other forms of art, like literature or painting, and do you get any inspiration to compose from them?

[Henri] Well, some painting and some literature but I can’t say whether they’re of actual inspiration. I for example like Hugo Simberg’s works a lot.

What’s your relationship with christianity?

[Henri] Well, I have this (displaying the Thor’s hammer hanging on his neck), this should tell something.

Please tell your musical history in brief?

[Henri] I have played the piano soon for eighteen years, I begun with it when I was four. I have played the guitar for nine and a half years and the bass and the drums for some five-six years. Means that the basic band instruments are in control.

Ending greetings?

[Henri] I would like to send my greetings to Sami and the following orchestras: Gorewinter, Barathrum, Thyrane, ...and Oceans, Finntroll and Throne Of Chaos. Those who I didn’t mention are either plain shit or then I’m just too drunk to remember them.


-------------------------------------




MOONSORROW & GOREWINTER 31.3.2000

Moonsorrow on juuri ennen haastattelua soittanut historiansa ensimmäisen keikan Turussa West Coast Holocaust IV:ssa. Tuleva levy "Suden Uni" on jo äänitetty helmikuussa 2000, mutta ruotsalainen Plasmatica Records on vain onnistunut jarruttelemaan julkaisua. Toivottavasti pukin konttiin ehtii markkinoille. Gorewinterin upea kolmen biisin MCD "Buried By Night" on ollut jo jonkin aikaa distroissa, ja uutta materiaalia saadaan vielä jonkin aikaa odotella.

MS:
Ville (V) =sanoitukset, laulu ja basso
Baron-Marko (B) =rummut
Henri (H) =sävellykset ja kitarointi +taustalaulu
Sami =kosketinsoittaja keikalla - tätä nykyä on korvattu Gorewinterin Lord Eurénilla
Mitja =2-kitara keikalla

GW:
Lord Eurén –kitara ja koskettimet
Baron Tarwonen –rummut, kitara ja laulu

Alkuun aika peruskysymys, eli mitä kuuluu noin yleensä ottaen bändien riveihin?
V: Ihan mukava keikka oli..
B: Gorewinter on ollut vuoden tekemättä mitään sitten "Buried by Night"-MCD:n. Nyt ollaan tehty uusia biisejä, joku 40 minuuttia uutta matskua. Ollaan treenailtu ja aiotaan tehdä niistä oma demo, jota ei laiteta levitykseen, vaan katotaan miltä se kuulostaa ja sitten mietitään jatketaanko hommaa vai ei. Koska meitä on vaan kaksi tyyppiä bändissä, joudutaan vähän kuuntelemaan itseämme nauhalta, että miltä se kuulostaa. Jos kuulostaa hyvältä, niin jatketaan ja varataan studio…

Millanen tämä Moonsorrown levy-yhtiö kuvio on? Millainen sopimus?
V: Sopimus on että Carlos maksaa… Yhden levyn sopimus.

Kerro vähän omasta musiikillisesta historiastasi? Milloin aloit soittamaan, mitä kautta jne..
V: Minä aloitin soittamaan bassoa ja rumpuja vuonna ’93, eli 13-vuotiaana. Moonsorrow perustettiin vuoden ’95 lopulla. Aluksi soitin siinä rumpuja. Yhdessä vaiheessa en soittanut mitään muuta kuin suutani ja ’98 aloin soittamaan Moonsorrowssa bassoa.

Miten henkilökemia toimii Moonsorrowssa?
V: Bändin henkilökemia toimii mainiosti. En ole ainakaan mihinkään suuriin konflikteihin törmännyt. Siis nyt puhutaan bändikokoonpanosta eikä livekokoonpanosta…

Mikä oli sinun ensisysäys black metalliin?
V: Se oli varmaan vuonna ’94, kun ostin Emperorin "In the Nightside Eclipsen". Metallia on kuunneltu vuodesta ’88. Bläkki ei ole pääasia.

Ja samat tarinat Gorewinter-Baron?
B: Aloitin soittamaan rumpuja 7-vuotiaana, eli siitä on julmasti aikaa.. 15 vuotta sitten. Kiitos äidille, että pisti soittamaan rumpuja eikä pianoa tai viulua! Ensimmäiseen kymmeneen vuoteen ei tapahtunut mitään bändijuttuja. Vasta sitten kun kasvoi, ruvettiin perustelemaan omia bändejä, joista ensimmäinen taisi soittaa jonkinsortin speed metallia, tyyliin Stone-Anthrax-Metallica…
Bändin henkilökemia toimii vallan mainiosti, koska meitä on kaksi, niin on helvetin helppo hoitaa kaikkia asioita. Myös ulkomusiikillisia, sikäli kun niitä on tämmöisessä duo-underground bändissä.

G: Siis tehän olette "vaan" kavereita Eurénin kanssa?
B: Me ollaan tunnettu toisemme yksi vuotiaasta asti, meillä on niinkin pitkä kaverisuhde. Aloitettiin soittamaan yhdessä ’95. Viikonloput vedetään viinaa ja katotaan jos tehdään biisejä.

G: Tähän väliin kysyn, että oletteko te Ville ja Henri Sorvali serkuksia?
V: Me ollaan serkuksia, olet todennäköisesti ensimmäinen, joka sen arvaa oikein. Kaikki muut luulee että me ollaan veljeksiä.

G: Demon kannesta kun lukee, niin ei voi erehtyä… (siinä lukee Henri Urponpoika ja Ville Seponpoika Sorvali) Isän nimi kun on eri…
V: Niin, mutta ulkomaalaisethan eivät tiedä, mitä ’poika’ tarkoittaa.

G: Millainen oli "Buried by Nightin" biisien valmistusprosessi ja levytysprosessi?
B: Biisien valmistusprosessi oli hyvin yksinkertainen. Minä sävelsin biisit. Nörtti kun olen, sävelsin ne tietokoneella.. Soitin biisit kaverille ja kaveri opetteli soittamaan. Käytiin muutaman kerran treenikämpällä harjoittelemassa ja pyydettiin pari kaveria ihan ajan takia, eli että studiossa nopeutetaan, niin pyydettiin kaveria (Hellborg) soittamaan bassoa ja yks hemmo (Sir Atirkiéh) kun on niin kätevä käsistään, soittamaan kitarasooloa. Tämä kitaristi ei ole missään tekemisissä metallimusiikin kanssa. Biisit vedettiin studiossa parissa päivässä, se oli siinä. Sanoitukset tehtiin parissa yössä, heh.

G: Entä Moonsorrow..?
V: Jos minä nyt Henun puolesta yritän puhua… Demon ("Tämä ikuinen talvi") jälkeen vuonna ’99 ruvettiin tekemään uusia biisejä, ennen kuin oli mitään diiliä, joka sitten saatiin huhtikuussa. Sen jälkeen Henu jatkoi biisien tekemistä, minä hieman autoin siinä.. Sitten todettiin että joku mättää tässä materiaalissa, että ei tätä demo-tyylistä mättöä jaksa koko ajan soittaa ja Henu sitten heitti yksi- tai kaksimielisesti suurimman osan biiseistä roskakoppaan ja ruvettiin tekemään uutta materiaalia. Uuden levyn materiaali on raskaampaa kuin demo, hieman hitaampaa ja siinä on paljon myös sellaista kunnon hevimetallia.. Bathory vaikutteet paistavat läpi… Loppujen lopuksi biisit hiottiin kuntoon kahdessa kuukaudessa, mentiin studioon ja itse prosessi sujui varsin kivuttomasti, koska äänittäjämme (Ahti Kortelainen, Tico Tico) oli erittäin asiansaosaava ja mukava mies.

G: Oletteko tyytyväisiä Plasmatica Recordsiin?
V: Ollaan toistaiseksi aivan tyytyväisiä, ei ole ilmennyt mitään häiriöitä. Yhteistyö sujuu vallan hyvin ja molemminpuolinen ymmärrys vallitsee..
B: Niin kauan kuin Carlos maksaa niin kaikki on kunnossa. Odottelemme levyä…

G: Mitä muita bändejä Carlosin tallissa on?
V:Perulainen folk/doom yhtye Kranium, Uudenkaupungin Unhola ja meidän jälkeen vielä sainattu ruotsalainen Midian, jonkinlaista death metallia. (Nykyään tallissa on myös ruotsalainen Blazing Skies ja perulainen Anal Vomit).

G: Mistä ammennat inspiraatiota musiikkiin?
B: Gorewinter perustettiin alunperin tribuutiksi vanhoille bändeille, mutta "Buried by Night" ei enää edusta sitä tyyliä. Vanha Beherit ja DarkThronen "Transilvanian Hunger" olivat silloin alussa innoittajina. Tänä päivänä biisit eivät lähde enää "tribuuttipihjalta". Ottaa vaan kitaran käteen ja jos tulee hyviä juttuja, niin ne käytetään Gorewinterillä, ja jos tulee paskoa, niin ne käytetään jonkun paskan bändin kanssa.
V: Moonsorrown biisinteossa minulla on hyvin pieni osuus.. Sanoituksia tein pitkin matkaa, kun levyä tehtiin. Viimekädessä tuli kuitenkin hieman kiire, varmaan kahden kuukauden sisällä tein kaikki sanoitukset. Loppumetreillä pyysin Kaijaa (=kihlattu) apuun ja hän teki yhdet sanat. Sitten olikin paketti kasassa. Sanoituksia viimeisteltiin vielä studiossa sinä päivänä kun lauluja nauhoitettiin.

Otatko kirjallisuudesta sanoituksiin vaikutteita?
V: Enpä oikeastaan, enemmän omista tunteista ja ajatuksista. Harvemminpa sen jälkeen kun mä oon lukenut kirjallisuutta tai runoutta rupeaa syntymään mitään sanoituksia. Ne tulee ennemmin vaikka kun mä istun pöydän ääressä syömässä jotain opiskelija-ateriaa. Sit vaan tulee yhtäkkiä idea, että hei nyt mä kirjotan sanoja. Aiheet tietysti ei liity niihin makaroneihin..

Mikä on Moonsorrown sanoitusten viesti?
V: "Pakanallisuus on aika vallitseva teema. Ainakin uudella levyllä paistaa läpi jonkinlainen vittuuntuneisuus sitä kohtaan, että kristityt tulivat mantereen halki ja kukistivat kaikki pakanakulttuurit."

Diggailetko Enochian Crescentistä?
V: "Enpä oo uutta ("Omega Telocvovim" -toim.) kuullutkaan, mutta kuulin, että heilläkin on "lalli-biisi" ("Väkisinkastettu" -toim.). Tosin kuulin sen vasta sen jälkeen kun olin kirjoittanut omani ("Köyliönjärven jäällä" -toim.). "

Mutta samanlaista henkeä löytyy ja mikäs sen parempi.
V: Se on hyvä henki. Mutta me emme vastusta ainoastaan kristinuskoa, vaan yhtä lailla kaikkia uskontoja ja kaikkien aikojen kulttuuri-imperialisteja. Pitäisi antaa kaikkien uskoa siihen mihin haluavat.

Entä Moonsorrown suhde metsään, onko metsässä voimaa?
V: "Vaikka ensimmäisen demomme nimi oli juhlallisesti "Metsä", sanoituksemme eivät liity mitenkään metsään. Luonnossa on toki voimaa."
B: "Luonto on mahtavin voima tässä maailmassa. Luontokin tappaa paljon ihmisiä.."
V: "Minä en varsinaisesti usko mihinkään, mutta jos on olemassa "Luoja", niin se on luonto. Luonto ja maailmankaikkeus on periaatteessa kaiken yläpuolella."

"Profeetan Lapset,
kohtalonne on kirjoitettu miekkojemme teriin.
Liian kauan olette maitamme asuttaneet.

Emme tarvitse vapahtajaanne,
emme valkoista valhettanne.
Kahlitsematonta ette voi vapauttaa.

Luonto on äitimme,
hänen povellaan alttarimme.
Pyhimpämme kaikkialla ympärillä asustaa."

-kappaleesta "Luopion veri"
("Tämä Ikuinen Talvi"-demolta)

Mistä Gorewinterin sanoitukset kertovat?
B: Gorewinterin sanoitukset kertoo kuolemasta, koska se on maailman kovin juttu. Siitä ei pääse mihinkään, että jokaisen täytyy kuolla. Mä kerron niistä tavoista, millä ihminen voi kuolla. Yritän keksiä niitä mahdollisimman julmia tapoja, esim sarjamurhaajan toimesta. Ei kuitenkaan itsemurhatarinoita.

Käsitteletkö sanoissasi romanttisia tapoja kuolla?
B: No ehkä jonkinlaista katuromantiikkaa tai katuangstia voi löytyä. Mä en elä missään metsässä, mä en voi kertoa kuinka metsässä tuuli ujeltaa ja siellä on niin synkkää. Kaduillahan ne murhat tapahtuu, sieltä se pahuus lähtee.

Mitä mieltä olette itsemurhasta muutoin?
B: Itsemurha on jokaisen oma päätös. Sillä ei oo kellään muulla mitään valittamista.

Onko itsemurha ratkaisu?
V: Se on vaihtoehto, kuten Mika Luttinenkin sanoi.
B: Kukaan ei voi tietää, onko se ratkaisu.

Onko Moonsorrowlla panteistisia ajatuksia sanoitusten taustalla?
V: En mä voi sanoa, että kaikessa piilee jumaluus. Missään ei oo sinänsä jumaluutta, mutta luonto vaan on niin ihmeellinen asia. Se on kaiken yläpuolella.

Mitkä ovat viisi tärkeintä levyä itsellenne?
B: King Crimson: "Great Deceiver"-boxi, Entombed: "Left Hand Path", Morbid Angel: "Altars of Madness", KISS: "Animalize" ja Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon". Nää on kaikki muuttaneet minun musiikin kuunteluani omana aikanaan todella paljon.
V: Klassiselta puolelta olisin voinut listata vaikka kaikki viisi, koska ne ovat yleisesti musiikin kehityksen kannalta tärkeitä: Beethovenin 5, Mozartin 40, Straussin "Näin puhui Zarathustra", Wagnerin "Walkyrie", Anton Dvorakin yhdeksäs sinfonia ja kaikki Bachit.
Metallipuolelta on olleet itselle erittäin tärkeitä Slayerin "Reign in Blood" ja ehdottomasti Iron Maidenin "Somewhere in Time" ja Bal-Sagothin "Starfire Burning Upon…" ja metallin ulkopuolelta King Crimsonin "In the Court of the Crimson King". Näistähän voisi jutella vaikka kuinka kauan mutta jospa siirrytään seuraavaan kysymykseen..
B: Ja Henri kuuntelee Rasmusta, hehheh.

Mikä on suhteenne koneistettuun musiikkiin ja mihin vedätte rajan oman bändinne tuotannossa?
B: Gorewinter ei tuo koneita musiikkiinsa ja ilmeisesti sama pätee Moonsorrow'iin.
V: Syntikat on soitettu sisään, ei oo ohjelmoitu mitään. Jos puhutaan industrial-soundeista, eli kolinaa ja hässäkkää, niin tuskin kummallakaan bändillä tullaan kuulemaan kyseisiä elementtejä. Mitä sitten itse musiikinkuuntelijana ajattelen, niin esim. Godfleshin uusin levy
("Us and Them") on kaikessa painostavuudessaan aika asiallista kamaa sikäli, että he ovat luoneet kone-elementeillä ahdistavaa musaa, josta ei varmasti kaikki pidä. Koneistettu musa on parhaimmillaan erittäin kuunneltavaa. Tykkään joistain konebändeistä kyllä, tosin esimerkiksi Kovenantin uutuus ("Animatronic") ei ole kovinkaan korviahivelevä kokemus.
B: En mä pidä sitä konemusiikkina. Mä en oo mikään konemusiikin ystävä, vaikka en vihamieskään.
V: Jos me tullaan jonain päivänä käyttämään koneita, niin rajan voisi vetää hyvissä ajoin ennen sitä teknobiittiä.

Mitä olette mieltä Ulverin ja Arcturusin kokeilevista musiikkityyleistä?
V: Mä tykkään molempien bändien uusista tekeleistä (siis "Themes from William Blake's…" ja "La Masquerade Infernale"), molemmat uskaltaa kokeilla ja onnistuvat siinä erittäin hyvin.

Tämä on aika korni kysymys, mutta mitä olette mieltä Black Metallin "kirkonpolttomaineesta"? Onko siitä enemmän hyötyä kuin haittaa?
V: Haittaa ihan selvästi.
B: Veronmaksajille siitä on haittaa.
Sami: Mulla on oma käsitys, kuka poltti sen kirkon Tyrnävällä. Se oli joku homofoobikko, joka ei kestänyt sitä, kuinka homosuvaitsevainen luterilainen kirkko on. Musta tuntuu siltä, että se oli joku äärihetero.
B: Henkilökohtaisesti mulla ei oo mitään kristittyjä vastaan. Ei mua vois vähempää kiinnostaa, jos joku on kirkossa ja tykkää käydä siellä. Se ei haittaa mun elämää mitenkään.
V: Jos kirkkoa vastaan pitää taistella, niin sen voisi tehdä ihan hyvin älyllisin asein. Esim. propagandan levittäminen olisi paljon tehokkaampaa kuin kirkonpolttaminen, koska jos polttaa kirkon, niin tilalle rakennetaan entistä ehompi kirkko - veronmaksajien rahoilla. Loppujen lopuksi black metal bändit joutuvat entistä huonompaan maineeseen, eikä pysty soittamaan niissäkään paikoissa, joissa ennen pystyi soittamaan.

Mitä mieltä olette black metallin tai Suomen metalli-skenen nykytilasta? Mihin näkisitte kehityksen olevan menossa omasta näkövinkkelistä?
B: Mä en seuraa näitä skenejä niin aktiivisesti, että osaisin tuohon sanoa jotain.
V: Minä joudun väkisinkin seuraamaan skeneä
(Meat Hook Prod:in päämiehenä).
B: Suomimetallin tulevaisuudesta tai tämänhetkisestä tilasta, mitäpä tuohon voisi sanoa. Onhan täällä vitusti ok bändejä, siinä suhteessa, että kaikki valittaa, kuinka Sentenced on nykyään niin him ja HIM on niin pop. Eihän Sentenced oo sitä mitä se oli aikoinaan, mutta on se mun mielestä hienompaa, että Suomesta pistetään semmoista musaa maailman markkinoille, kuin jotain tyyliin Ruotsista europoppia.
V: Black metal skene sisältää niin paljon paskaa, että se ei mua yhtään kiinnosta, mutta Suomella pyyhkii siinä suhteessa hyvin. Hyviä bändejä on, mutta mä kaipaisin itse ainakin omaperäisyyttä ja rohkeutta tehdä uusia ratkaisuja. Hyviä bändejä tulee näköjään jatkossakin mutta Stratovarius-Sentenced-HIM-tyyliset maailmanvalloitukset ei kiinnosta mua pätkääkään. Ok, HIM on ihan hyvä yhtye, mutta ei mua kiinnosta, että se myy Saksassa ja Itävallassa.

Miten suhtaudut tavallisessa elämässäsi nyky-yhteiskuntaan, joka pyrkii kontrolloimaan kaikkea mitä sitten keksitkin tekemään? Vaikuttaako kristilliset ja humanistiset arvot ja moraali toimintaasi?
V: Kristilliset arvot vaikuttavat minuun, ja niiden ansioista mä olen aikalailla antikristitty ja muutenkin antiuskonnollinen ja juuri sen seurauksena myös humanistinen, koska uskonnot eivät ole humanistisia. Yhteiskunta haisee, mutta siinä on elettävä.
B: Meininki on se, että eletään ihan päivä päivältä pikkuhiljaa eikä välitetä tuommoisista. Niin misantrooppinen kuin ikinä olenkin, niin ei jaksa kiinnostaa.
V: Eletään päivä päivältä ja promille promillelta..
B: Niin kauan kuin ALKO on pystyssä, niin kaikki on hyvin. Ja kunhan sitä rahaakin jostain firmasta saa… Vaikka niitä veroja joutuu maksaa...
V: Yhteiskunnan epäkohdista vois valittaa vaikka kuinka kauan, mutta jätetään se väliin.
B: Mä oon sellanen ihminen, että mä en jaksa paneutua politiikkaan, koska mä en siihen voi kauheesti vaikuttaa.

Entä jos ois joku antikristillinen puolue…?
B: Kyllä mä sitä äänestäisin.

Missä bändinne on viiden vuoden kuluttua?
B: Jos bändi ei oo kasassa, niin sitten oon jossain toisessa bändissä, mutta musiikin parissa aion jatkaa.
V: Vaikea tietysti sanoa, mutta toivoisin että bändi on kasassa. Jos ei oo, niin ehkä mä oon jossain toisessa bändissä. Musiikista mä ainakin luulen diggailen vielä silloinkin.

Millainen kotikaupunkinne Helsinki on metallimiehen silmissä?
V: Siellä on yksi baari, jossa skene kokoontuu, eli Rock Café Maestro, ja kaksi paikkaa, jossa pari bändiä joskus soittaa. Se on ihan perseestä, että keikkapaikkoja pienemmille bändeille ei oo missään.
B: Ne rajoittuu aika pitkälle Semifinaaliin. Kyllä Helsinki on ihan mukava paikka, siinä missä muutkin Suomen kaupungit.

Mikä on kristinuskon tulevaisuus 50 vuotta tästä eteenpäin?
V: Perin ikävä. Ihmiset alkavat pikkuhiljaa ajatella itsenäisesti – ehkä. Koko ajan tuo uskonto on kuolemassa.
B: God knows.

Ville, kerroppa vielä mitä ajattelet vanhan kansan pakanauskonnoista?
V: Mä en varsinaisesti usko niihin, mutta oon oikeestaan aika kiinnostunut varsinkin suomalaisista muinaisuskonnoista. Siitä ei muuten hirveesti tietoa löydä. Ne on joskus jyrätty ja se on erittäin anteeksiantamatonta ja siitä me myös laulamme.

Mikä on suhteesi shamanismiin?
V: Mä en tiedä niistä tarpeeksi, joskin minua kiinnostaa tietää enemmän. Ehkä mä oon skeptikko mutta en mä varsinaisesti usko siihen, että henkiä voi manata esiin jne... Mutta on sillä henkinen vaikutus ihmiseen, jos rupeaa sitä harrastamaan…

Uskotko kristilliseen käsitykseen persoonallisesta pahasta, Sheitanista?
V: Kristillinen käsitys Saatanasta on ihan samaa paskaa kuin kristillinen käsitys Jumalasta. Sillä ei oo mitään todenperäistä pohjaa, se on täyttä paskanjauhantaa, ei semmoista voi olla.

Tässä vaiheessa Henri Sorvali saapuu paikalle vastaamaan kysymyksiin ja rääkäisee tullessaan slayermaisesti... Oletko ottanut laulutunteja?
H: En koskaan.

Mistä hankit inspiraatiota Moonsorrow'n sävellyksiin? Tuleeko ne alitajuisesti?
H: Kyllä se periaatteessa alitajuisesti tulee, joskin sima on suuri vaikuttaja. Ollaan itseasiassa huomenna menossa Kallelle juomaan simaa. Mutta anyway, jotkut löytävät tiettyjä yhtymäkohtia meidän materiaalista Emperoriin, Enslavediin ja ehkä uusi materiaali viittaa hieman Bathoryyn, mutta tahallaan ei oo mitään kopioitu. Ehkä noista olen kuitenkin vähän inspiroitunut, mutta en mitenkään tahallaan.

Seuraatko muita taiteenmuotoja, kuten kirjallisuutta tai maalaustaidetta, ja saatko niistä inspiraatiota sävellystyöhön?
H: No itseasiassa jonkun verran maalaustaidetta ja kirjallisuutta, mutta en osaa sanoa, tuleeko niistä varsinaisesti inspiraatiota. Tykkään esimerkiksi Hugo Simbergin töistä oikein paljon.

Mikä on suhteesi kristinuskoon?
H: No minulla on tällainen (esittelee kaulassaan roikkuvaa Thorin vasara-riipusta), eiköhän tämä kerro jotakin.

Kerro musiikillinen historiasi lyhyesti?
H: Mä oon soittanu pianoa kohta kahdeksantoista vuotta, aloitin sen neljävuotiaana. Kitaraa oon soittanu yhdeksän ja puoli vuotta ja bassoa ja rumpuja semmoiset viisi-kuusi vuotta. Eli perus bändisoittimet on hallussa.

Lopputerveiset?
H: Haluaisin lähettää terveisiä Samille ja seuraaville orkestereille: Gorewinter, Barathrum, Thyrane, …and Oceans, Finntroll ja Throne of Chaos. Ne yhtyeet, jotka eivät tulleet mainituiksi ovat ihan paskoja tai sitten mä oon liian jurrissa muistaakseni niitä.

No comments:

Post a Comment